Creating screen-recorded videos can sometimes feel like a headache that’s just around the corner.
Because while creating these simple videos is supposed to be easy, the work only piles up when you edit them to make them look professional.
At that point, you end up juggling between a handful of tools — one to trim the video, another to caption it, and yet another to add animation and resize it. The cycle starts all over when a client or teammate has feedback on the video.
Thankfully, using an all-in-one tool can save you from these struggles and tool fatigue — all while making it easy to record, edit, and share screen-recorded videos.
So in this guide, let’s walk you through how to record your screen and edit it in just a few clicks with VEED. We’ll show you the various screen recording video formats you can use, then take you through how you can remove background noise from the video, trim it, add stickers, text, and captions to it, and much more.
How to Record Your Screen with VEED
Before we dive into the meat and potatoes of recording your screen, let’s first address the elephant in the room: why should you use VEED?
The short answer: because VEED lets you edit the video that you create within the same app so you don’t need to jump between tools. You can also use it to record different screen-recorded formats including video presentations and audio-only recordings.
The best part? VEED comes with a built-in teleprompter. Use it to upload your video script and deliver your presentation like a public speaking pro.
With that out of the way, let’s take you through the steps to screen-record a video:
1. Head to VEED and Click On Record Video
You’ll find this option on the top of your VEED dashboard.
Another route you can take is to select the New Video + blue button in the side menu and choose Start Recording.
2. Select a Layout Style for Your Screen-Recorded Video
Whatever screen-recording route you take, both options will lead you to the same place: a collection of six video screen layouts including the option to record only audio (Hi audio podcasters and camera-shy folks 👋).
Have a prerecorded video clip ready but want to add a personalized video clip to it? Choose the Select a Video option and upload the pre-made clip. Then record yourself and stitch the two together. This is also a good option for creating personalized sales and outreach videos.
If you’re creating a video presentation, you get the option to both upload a file or import the slide from Google Slides.
And if you’ve selected the option to share your screen, give the app directions on how much of your screen to show in the video recording. Choose from showing the:
- Entire screen
- Specific window that’s open
- Chrome tab only
Pro tip: If you’re a remote worker who creates lots of screen-recorded videos with minimal editing for communicating with your team, use VEED’s screen recording Chrome extension. The Chrome extension lets you record videos with a click of a button.
One thing to keep in mind though: if you’re looking for more options for recording screen videos such as uploading your slideshow to record your video presentation, you’ll find them in VEED’s web app. The app is also easy to use — straight from your browser — and gives you the option to edit your recorded video as well.
P.S. You can also record a simple video from the Chrome extension and then click Edit instead of Done. This will take you to the web app to edit the recorded video.
3. (Optional) Customize Your Screen Recording
Now to add some life to your screen recorded video — an excellent idea for those recording videos for your course — customize the video frame.
Start with exploring the seven available themes. You’ll see the option in a menu bar under your video/audio recording.
After you’ve chosen a theme that best reflects your brand personality, customize it a bit more using the Background option beside Themes in the same menu bar.
This option lets you change the theme’s color so that it’s aligned with your brand colors. Select from the available gradient color options or tap on Color and choose your main brand color.
Already have a branded background image that you want to add to your video? Select the third option available in the background tab: Upload.
What’s more, you can also change your screen recording’s dimensions so it’s optimized for the platform viewers watch it on.
For this, tap the aspect ratio option on the lower right side of your screen and select a size dimension — a vertical video size for screen-recorded TikToks for example.
4. Hit Record
With your customized video background ready, click on the red Record button on the top right corner of your video frame.
5. Finish Recording and Continue Editing as Needed
Once done, click Stop in the upper right corner.
Now hit Done if you’re satisfied with the video as it is. This will take you to the screen that gives you options to share the recorded video.
You can choose from:
- Inviting teammates for their feedback. Simply add their email address in the box under Share this video and select why you’re inviting them — to view the video or edit it. Now click Invite and VEED will ask them to join your workspace.
- Sharing the video with a link.The Copy Link option is available at the bottom of the share box. Tap it to get a sharing link.
- Publishing directly on social media. Use the social media icons in the share box to choose a platform to share your screen-recorded video to.
- Downloading the video. You’ll see the download tray on the extreme right side of the share box. Click on it and select a download format for your video. The video will download in the selected format after that 🎉
- Creating a GIF. This option is best for creating product tutorials. Simply select GIF beside the Copy Link button and VEED will give you a GIF link. Use it to embed the content in your email, blog posts, and other marketing channels.
- Showcasing your video. VEED business plan users can also add a title and description to their video alongside links to where they want to direct viewers. Plus, you can get analytics on your video, which is a helpful usecase for sales teams using outreach videos. To access the analytics, go to Recordings in the left menu on the main VEED dashboard and select the video you want to review. Now click on Analytics (upper right corner) for an overview of total views and CTA button clicks among other performance metrics.
Ways to Edit Your Screen-Recorded Video
You can edit a video after you’ve clicked done using the Edit Video option on the top right corner. So don’t worry if you spot the need to edit after you’ve hit done.
If you’re planning to edit before sharing your video though, hit Stop after recording the footage, then click on Edit. This will take you to VEED’s online editor.
There are lots of basic and advanced editing options available here. Let’s touch on the most important ones below:
Remove Background Noise
Crisp audio quality is an essential prerequisite to creating professional videos. Thankfully with VEED, you can achieve it with the click of a button. Find it on the left side of the video editing workstation, under Audio, with the name Clean Audio.
Once you click it, VEED will automatically remove background noises from your videos — easy as that 🥂
Optimize Video Size for the Channel You’ll Share it On
Another essential prerequisite to video creation: resizing the video so that it’s optimized for the platform you want to share it to.
Again, with VEED, you can do this easily. Click on Settings in the toolbar to the left of the editing dashboard, then use the drop-down menu under Size. Select the publishing platform and VEED will resize the video for you.
Read more: Best Aspect Ratios for Videos: The Only Guide You’ll Ever Need
This editing trick removes awkward silences longer than a second in your video — making it look like you’re talking seamlessly.
And it’s easy too — just click on the video timeline under your video (bracketed with orange borders) and an options panel will open up on the left-hand side. Here, scroll down to the Audio section and hit Clean Audio and you’re done. Add.
Add Subtitles to Your Video
Subtitles make your video accessible and improve message retention.
To automatically add captions to your video, click on Subtitles on the extreme left menu in the editing dashboard.
Choose Auto Subtitle from the three subtitling options that show up. Now select the language you want to add the subtitles in and click Create Subtitles.
VEED will auto-caption your video in a few minutes. Once done, review the subtitles — VEED’s captioning accuracy stands at 95% so there won’t be much proofreading work for you — and you’re done.
Read more: How to automatically add and customize subtitles with VEED
Add Text and Elements to Your Video
Now to add some personality to your screen-recorded video, choose from options available on the extreme left side of the video editor.
By selecting Elements, you can add shapes, emojis, GIFs, stickers, popups, and callouts to your video.
After you’ve selected an element to add to your video, resize it using the drag handles around it. You can also animate it and change its color to go with your background and theme.
After you finalize these details about your chosen element, select a duration (start and end times) for when you want it to show up in the video.
As for adding text, select the Text option from the menu on the extreme left and pick a text style you want to add.
Once you do, add details to the Edit Text section, the tab that shows after you’ve selected your text style. Add your text here, and change its font size, type, color, and positioning. You can also animate the text and finally, pick a duration for when you want it to appear and then go away in the video.
Trim and Remove Sections from the Video
If you find your screen-recorded video needs trimming, use the video timeline at the bottom of the editor and adjust the orange-colored handles on the timeline’s extreme sides.
To remove a section from a video, use the blue arrowhead in the timeline to choose the clip you want to remove. Then click on Split just above the timeline and the editor will separate the section from the rest of the video.
Next, right-click on the separated section to copy, download, or delete it altogether. You can also drag it and add it to another area in the video timeline, and it’ll automatically snap into place.
When you’re done editing your video, click Export. It’ll give you the option to export the video in different quality settings (HD, 4K, Twitter, YouTube 1440p, etc.)
Select the quality standard according to your publishing platform and click the blue Export Video button. This will take you to the video sharing and downloading page that we talked about above (step 5).
6 Bonus Things You Can Do with VEED
Besides recording your screen, VEED can play a bigger role in your video creation workflow. That is: you can record, go live, edit, host, collaborate, and share videos — all with a single tool.
Here’s all that you can do with VEED:
- Go Live: Use VEED to live stream on Twitch and other channels. You can also multistream to different channels at one time, brand your live streaming studio, collaborate with co-hosts (invite up to eight guests) and manage your chat from the studio. Since VED auto-records all your live streams for you, you can edit and reuse the content too.
- Record Yourself (or Your Screen) and Your Presentations: Record yourself in square (1:1), vertical (9:16), or landscape (16:9) formats. Plus, customize your recording with a background and more as we shared above. You can also upload your presentation and record yourself talking over your slides.
- Edit your videos: Whether it’s your screen-recorded video, a recorded live stream, or a phone-recorded video, you can edit all types of videos in VEED. Trim videos, split sections, add a text to speed narrative or stock audio, remove background noise, add engaging transitions and animations, and resize videos for all major platforms. Like a particular video a lot? Create a video template of it.
- Host Your Videos: VEED saves all your videos in your cloud workspace. This way, you can easily access them anywhere, anytime to edit footage or revisit something you already finished.
- Collaborate: Invite teammates or clients to your VEED workspace to get their feedback on the video you’ve created.
- Share: VEED gives you multiple options to share your finished videos. You can download them in various quality standards, get shareable links, and directly share them on social media. You can also share videos via email or embed them to your website.