Want an easy, effortless, and quick way to remove the audio from your video?
We know how it feels when you’re all set — you’ve finally made that content piece that you know your audience is going to love. But when you play your video, you realize that your neighbor’s lawn mower has stolen the limelight.
Don’t worry - we’ve got you covered. Whether you need to mute video completely or get rid of unwanted noise, we are going to show you exactly how to remove the audio from your video in JUST a few minutes.
Let’s dive right in.
How to remove audio from video on VLC
VLC is the go-to app for most of us to watch (and binge watch) movies and other videos. However, did you know you can edit your videos on VLC, too? Although it’s not a professional video editing tool, you can easily mute your video on VLC.
Here’s how to remove voice from video on VLC:
- Open VLC media player
- Click on ‘Media’ in the menu, and choose Convert/Save.
- Select the video you want to edit and add that media.
- Now click on the Convert/Save button.
- At the bottom of the Convert/Save screen, you’ll see a wrench icon near ‘Profile’ -- click on this.
- You’re now in the Profile Edition window, where you can click on ‘Audio Codec’ from the menu.
- Ensure that the ‘Audio’ checkbox is unchecked. Add a name to the project.
- Set the destination file, and click on Start.
- Voila, you have a brand new video with none of the original audio.
How to remove sound from video with VEED on a PC or Mac
If you want a simple solution to your audio issue, you’re in luck. Veed.io is an intuitive yet comprehensive web-based video editing software that lets you cut audio from video online for free! You can fully edit and clean your audio through Veed without the hassle of downloading extra software.
1. Login to your Veed account on your phone or desktop
2. Click on ‘New Project’
3. Choose the video file you want to be edited.
4. Once it’s imported, click on the video timeline. This will bring up the settings for that video.
5. In the ‘Audio section,’ you can either turn down the audio volume or mute it by clicking the volume button.
6. Add any other customizations you'd like and once you’re happy with it, click export.
7. Wait for a few seconds till Veed renders it and then, you can download it to your computer! Easy.
How to remove sound from iPhone video
With the Photo App
If you’re in a hurry, one of the easiest ways to remove audio from your iPhone video is through the built-in‘Photos’ app.
It’s a handy trick when you want to quickly send a video on your phone (minus the embarrassing audio). Of course, it’s not the best — but it does the job.
- Open the iPhone Photos app and select the video you want to edit.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ option in the top right corner.
- Click the yellow volume icon on the top left corner and make sure it turns grey.
- Save changes, and you’ve successfully muted your video!
Pay attention to whether the slashed-out volume icon is black or grey. When it is grey, there is no audio in the video. If it is black, your iPhone’s volume is too low, and increasing the volume will bring the sound back on.
iMovie is another great option for iPad, Mac, or iPhone users. Usually pre-bundled with Apple devices, iMovie is extremely beginner-friendly and compatible with most video formats. You can include smooth transitions, text, rotating scenes, or add and remove music with iMovie.
Here’s how to remove audio with iMovie:
- Open the iMovie app on your iPhone
- Tap on the ‘+’ sign to start a new project
- Click on ‘Media’ to upload your video from your camera roll
- Click and highlight your video timeline in the bottom half of the screen.
- Click the volume icon underneath the video timeline and reduce the volume to 0.
- Your video is now muted! Share the project to save it without audio.
How to remove audio from video on Windows 10 / Windows Movie Maker
Movie Maker is the Windows equivalent of iMovie (with fewer features, though). Although Windows no longer bundles the Windows Movie Maker in their professional suite, they offer all its features inside their native Photos app. While this app has limited features, it’s better than you’d expect for pre-bundled free software.
Here’s how to remove the audio from a youtube video on Windows 10:
- Open the Photos App on Windows 10
- Go to the video editor tab and click ‘New Project’
- Name your project, and add the clips from your PC or from the web.
- Click ‘place it on the storyboard’.
- Double-tap on the volume icon and turn it off.
- Mission successful! Export and you now have the video without the audio.
How to remove sound from video on an Android Phone
Removing audio from your video when you use an Android is just as simple. This method uses Google Photos, where most Android users backup their photos. However, they also have an editing option if you dig slightly deeper.
- Open Google Photos on your Android and find the video you want to edit.
- Click ‘edit’
- Click the volume icon on the left side and disable the audio.
- Save changes and you’re good to go.
You can also use other third-party apps like VivaVideo, etc., but they watermark your video. So, for a simple edit, Google Photos is the best way to remove audio from video on an Android device.
How to remove audio from video on Adobe Premiere Pro
As one of the best video editing software, Adobe Premiere Pro is popular among many professional filmmakers. It is an industry-grade comprehensive video editing tool for creatives. They offer advanced video editing features with support for a wide range of video formats.
Here’s how you can use Adobe premiere pro to remove audio from your video:
- Open your Premiere pro and load your video.
- Right-click on any section of your video in the video timeline
- Select ‘Unlink.’ This will detach your video from your audio.
- You can then select just the audio clip and press Delete on your keyboard.
- Save changes, and export your video!
If you’re looking for a professional-grade tool with video collaboration capabilities and have a bit of a budget, Adobe Premiere Pro is a good choice. However, if you just want to mute your video, this might not be the most efficient option.
How to remove audio from video on Canva
Canva is an incredibly popular graphic and web design tool, but not many people know that you can also use it for video editing. If you already have your brand templates loaded into Canva, you can produce on-brand videos quickly!
Here’s how to remove the original audio from the video you uploaded:
- Upload your video to your Canva design.
- Drag your video to the storyboard.
- Click on the volume button in the top left corner.
- Set the volume to 0.
- You can now add a music track and you won’t hear the original audio of your video playing.
Note: if you can’t see the volume option, double-check that you’ve selected the video. You might have chosen another element (such as text) in the design.
That’s it! You no longer have to redo your entire video if the audio isn’t being your best friend today. Now that you know how to remove audio from video, let’s put that knowledge into practice!
If you’re a regular content creator, VEED is the best place to get started with muting your videos. You don’t have to learn clunky, heavy professional software to clean your audio effectively. Instead, try the VEED video editor today!